Do you like Nasi Lemak? This Shrimp & Coconut Risotto With Pickled Jalapeno is Anna’s inspiration of the Malaysian Nasi Lemak!
Really easy to cook, this risotto is guarantee to satisfy even the fussiest eater. And you can be creative if you do not want to add prawns.
Chef Tip: Use short-grain rice and do not wash it too much.
Recipe and Instructions courtesy of Anna Olson
|Yield: 4 servings|
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
- 30ml vegetable oil
- 80g diced cooking onion
- 225g Arborio rice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 6g finely grated fresh ginger
- 625ml shrimp or chicken stock
- 250ml coconut milk
- 180g diced red bell pepper (about 1 medium pepper)
- 400g fully peeled shrimp
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 45g chopped fresh coriander
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 100g fresh spinach leaves
- Chopped roasted peanuts, for garnish
- Sambal or Pickled Jalapeno Peppers, for garnish
- 75g raisins or crushed pineapple (well-drained)
- Heat a medium sized heavy-bottom saucepan over medium heat with the oil. Add the onion and sauté, stirring often, until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the rice and stir this for 2 minutes, to coat the rice. Stir in the garlic and ginger and then add 250 mL (1 cup) of the stock, reducing the heat to medium-low and stirring with a wooden spoon until most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Add another 250 mL (1 cup) of stock and stir regularly (you don’t have to stir constantly now) until this is almost absorbed. Add the coconut milk and cook this in stirring regularly.
- After the coconut milk is half absorbed, check the rice for tenderness (it will still be a little crunchy, but starting to soften).
- Add the red pepper and shrimp and cook until the coconut milk is absorbed, but the mixture is still creamy. If the rice is still not cooked through, add the remaining 125 mL (1/2 cup) of stock and cook in while stirring. Season to taste and stir in the green onions and coriander.
- When ready to serve, stir in the spinach leaves, to wilt them slightly.
- To serve, spoon the risotto into bowls and top with the peanuts, Sambal and/or pickled Jalapeno Peppers.
Catch Anna Olson in Action!
Tune-in to Anna’s new show,Inspired with Anna Olson which premieres onFriday, 29 July @9pm onAsian Food Channel (Starhub Ch435).
All photos without Universal Scribbles watermark are provided courtesy of Asian Food Channel.
If you like this post, please share your thoughts with Us in the comments below or connect with me onFacebook,Twitter and Instagram.
You may also like these posts:
Till our next post, love yourself, love one another.