Does the idea of going to work fill you with so much dread that you have the Monday Blues on all five working days? Do you feel unproductive, undermined and doubtful whenever you are at work? If you experience any of the below signs repetitively, you are working for a bully boss.
- Every Sunday evening, you feel physically ill – your stomach churns and there is a deep-seated feeling of dread that grows deeper as Monday comes along. You suffer from extreme “Monday Blues” the day before you go to work.
- Your boss is constantly criticising your work, your dressing, your behaviour / attitude at work. Experts say workplace bully have a different standard in mind for their targets.
- Workplace bullies enjoy making their victims feel bad about themselves. They frequently yell, scream at, belittle, insult or humiliate their target in front of other colleagues or business associates as a way to diminish the victim’s self esteem.
- Bully bosses keep track of your mistakes and constantly refer to them for no constructive reasons or falsely accuses you of errors in your work.
- Bully bosses spread disruptive lies about your performance or steal credit for your creativity and/or efforts.
- Are you deliberately excluded from lunch or professional meetings? Do you find yourself being singled out and isolated by your co-workers or boss socially or physically eg. having you desk moved to an undesirable area in the office or missing out on work appointments due to misled information by your boss.
- You pretend to be sick so you can get a medical cert (MC) to get away from the misery of your office environment.
- You are constantly obsessing about your miserable work life and boss – so much so that your family members show frustration over your unhealthy obsession with your work situation.
- Your boss intentionally find ways to sabotage or ensure you fail at your job.
- You are given impossible work schedules. For example, you are informed of last minute late meetings on days when your boss knows you have an evening class or has to go pick up your kids from school.
- Your bully boss or co-worker steals credit for work that you have done.
If you are harassed at the workplace or know someone who is and require more assistance, check out the website at AWARE for more information.