There’s nothing scarier on Halloween night than a bunch of little devils, ghouls and witches roaming around your block, demanding for treats.
Typically falling on the last day of October, Halloween has become a huge event in Singapore. Kids and adults alike love this occasion where they get to fantasize, put on make-up and play dress up in their favourite characters and let their imagination run wild.
Most adults usually make do with Halloween accessories which they can easily get at any supermarkets (NTUC, Cold Storage or Carrefour) or department stores like Isetan Singapore or Robinsons. Or they can rent a costume from speciality costume shops like Number 1 Costume Costume, Talent House Studio, Foreigners House of Costumes (Tel: 62823110) and one of the oldest suppliers in town, Costumes & Mascots (Tel: 62990882).
Depending on the quality of the costume, rental costumes may cost you between $50 to $200 for a 3-days period, and terms and conditions vary with each company.
For children, it is simply easier to purchase costumes as you don’t have to worry about wear and tear and the forfeit of your deposit. Also, if the costumes are of a more generic nature (like princess or pirate), they can be re-used on other occasions (birthday parties or school performance etc). Plus, it is also economy of scale if you have kids of the same sex – you can recycle the costumes for the younger ones or exchange with friends who have children of the same sex.
So, where can you buy costumes for kids in Singapore?
- Almost any places that sell party supplies will have some costumes or accessories for you.
- Toys “R” Us – catering to the various needs of kids, this toy retail chain offers a range of costumes for children the whole year round.
- Spotlight – you can buy a range of costumes here, or if you are good with needles and thread, get the materials and make one yourself. In addition, Spotlight has a range of supplies and decorations for you to choose from; a definite must-visit when preparing for Halloween.
- Mini Princess – a great concept store that lives up to its name, this store sells the prettiest dresses for your little girls, including princess and fairy outfits at very reasonable prices. You will also love the lovely ‘girly’ shoes and accessories to complement the outfits.
- The Internet is a wealth of resources for your shopping needs. Check out these websites to get your costumes.
Tips for shopping online
= Give yourself sufficient shipping time for the costumes to arrive.
= Make sure the website you are purchasing from has good on-line safety features to protect your credit card and personal details.
= Clarify the return policy before making a purchase.
Till our next post, love yourself, love one another.